As the first decade of the new millennium draws to a close, what remains of my festive holidays has been rudely interrupted by the need to post a “best of” list of sorts to round out what was a tumultuous decade.
Call it the ‘Decade of Zeros’; it was in many ways.
Without further ado tender reader, I humbly present to you my favourite things/moments of the last 10 years (in random order) and a few of my not-so-favourite things and/or moments.
In doing so, I also offer a prayer (or hope) for good things to come for all humanity over the forthcoming decade.
A few things I liked about the Zeros:
1. The rise of social media
2. Fave website of the decade: YouTube
3. The ubiquity of portable/mobile computing
4. David Bowie live at the Air Canada Centre during the ‘A Reality Tour’ on Jan. 4, 2004 (I had amazing seats)
5. February 29, 2008 (a day of personal interest)
6. The launch and continued success of Spacing magazine
7. I spent six of the last 10 years working out of my apartment
8. I landed a new job, with a new company, in a new town (Hello Vancouver!)
9. The Wii video gaming system
10. The courage of Roméo Louis Dallaire as he testified at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda
A few things I didn’t like about the last decade:
1. The anarchy of Sept. 11, 2001
2. Canada’s reputation sullied by allegations of being involved in torturing human beings
3. The so-called ‘War on Terror’ and Canada’s involvement in Afghanistan
4. Dick Cheney
5. Richard Peddie in charge of the day-to-day operations of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club
6. The Conservative Party of Canada
7. Climate change and Canada’s lack of action to combat it
8. Y2K and the “end of the world” nonsense at the start of the decade
9. The global recession & how it kicked the snot out of a lot of good people I know
10. The illegal and unnecessary invasion of Iraq by the United States and its allies
Come January 1st, yours truly will be blogging/writing from beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia. Surf by again; it’s my intent to post as frequent as possible, notably during the 21st Winter Olympiad.
What were your favourite & not-so-favourite moments of the last decade?
*Thank you Matthew Blackett for the fab Vancouver cityscape photo I’m now using on my banner.*